This ambient and personal data visualization app, translates the amount and type of calls you make and receive in a day into a compelling and readable graphic ─ the story of your day.Read more
Today is available for Android. Download now!
This ambient and personal data visualization app, translates the amount and type of calls you make and receive in a day into a compelling and readable graphic ─ the story of your day.
Each call or message generates a symbol which appears in real time at the centre of one of two spirals (left incoming, right outgoing), and with each new call or message they all move one position chronologically, the result being an ever-changing, evolving image.
Each symbol created during the course of a day is also given a colour and each communication with that colour, or rather phone number, is measured in duration and intensity: symbol size relates to the length of a call, intensity gives symbols visual weight depending on the speed by which you attend a call ─ an urgent call being more colour saturated than an untimely unknown number.
Today is a personal and intimate piece. Some days will be really colourful and wired, others quieter and more reflective, either way the resulting visuals will always be unrepeatable and unique.
- set as a real-time Live Wallpaper (without interactive features)
- switch between daily or weekly cycles (to give light phone users similarly colourful results)
- slide back and forth to browse through cycles
- use slider to see the data, or activity log details behind each symbol (contact name, date and duration)
- pinch to zoom in and out of a visualization
- create an image of a visualization at any point in a cycle, and save to your phone and/or share online. Depending on hardware capabilities, saved images are 1, 2 or 3 times larger than screen size and are made in either portrait or landscape. TODAY paid version only.
We, the Today developers, have no access to any of your personal information and cannot publish any personal information or collate any personal information from your use of the Today App. The underlying data is your property, and since it stored locally, on your phone, no third party has access to it. If you decide to save a visualization image and share it online, what is published is only that: a static image of a visualization and not your data.
Records of your name and email are kept to help us recognize you, should you contact us. We will not share your name and contact information with any third party.
If you have a question not answered on our F.A.Q., please contact us at email@example.com
- Do my logs get published anywhere online or on your
Absolutely not. Your logs are private and only you can access them. Today runs locally on your phone, visualizing logs already present on your phone (see Privacy).
- Can I save images of visualizations?
Yes. You can create an image of a visualization at any point in a cycle, and save it on your phone, and/or share it online. Depending on hardware capabilities, images are 1, 2 or 3 times larger than screen size and made in either portrait or landscape. Today paid version only.
- How to set Today as a Live Wallpaper?
On Android 2.2: Go to Settings — Personalization/Display — Wallpapers — Live Wallpapers — scroll to find Today — and set.
- Are the colours random?
No, there is no random in this app.
Each new contact (phone number) in a cycle (daily or weekly) is assigned a colour, which is fixed throughout the cycle. For instance, if my girlfriend on Monday is red all contact with her on that day will be red; next day, the first contact is given the colour which follows the last colour used in the previous cycle.
Each colour's alpha value (transparency or degree of colour saturation) reflects the level of a call's intensity - measured by how long one takes to attend a call.
- What do the Today permissions mean?
Today requires access to some areas of your Android (see Privacy). Great care has been taken to avoid storing or performing functions unrelated to Today's direct functionality.
- Permissions, detailed what and why
- SMS messages: access to the SMS database is needed to visualize them.
- SD card storage: used to save images when you decide to make an image of a visualization.
- Contact data: access to the phone call database is needed for the visualization; to cross data between SMS messages, incoming and outgoing calls, and display contact names.
- Phone state: only accessed to count the ring time when a call is dialed, which is used for the alpha parameter of the visualization.